CALL FOR ARTISTS/ARTWORKS
Call for artists/artworks for selection of an artwork for the new French Embassy building in Accra, Ghana.
The French Embassy in Ghana announces a competition to commission a site-specific artwork at the new French Embassy building which is being built on the site of the French Residence. The building will be ready by Summer 2018. .
As per the French regulations, this selection will be made in the framework of the “Percent for Art” program (with a public tender for call of applications to present an artistic creation which will be installed in the newly constructed French embassy premises. A percentage of the construction cost is reserved for an artistic creation)
The total amount allocated to this selection of an artwork is 50 000 euros This amount includes expenses occurred such as communication, payment of the qualified persons of the artistic committee, remuneration of the selected artist (for design, realization, delivery and installation of the work) and compensation for the finalist candidates (€ 1,500 / candidate).
Artwork creation includes the design, realization, routing and installation in situ of the artwork.
This artwork must:
• Well integrate with architectural design of the new embassy and its surroundings;
• be in compliance with all aspects related to the future site and surroundings and their all sensitive basic elements.
• contribute to a general atmosphere of serenity;
• bear no maintenance and no special maintenance.
All applications will first be checked for conformity with the elements requested here-in-under. Pre-selected artworks will then be analyzed by an Artistic Committee according to the following criteria:
• presentation of the creative approach and artistic process;
• suitability of the application as per the given requirements;
• quality of references and accomplishments and the artwork itself-
• technical capacity to implement the artistic project as per the given specifications. The composition of the Artistic Committee will be in accordance with the French decree n ° 2002-677 of 29 April 2002 as amended.
More detailed technical specifications regarding the project will be sent only to candidates who will be pre-selected and expressly invited to submit an offer.
The work will not be selected as per the amount of money that will be spent by the artist for its creation.
Maximum 5 artworks will be selected for the finals. Upon the final selection, the contract duration for the competition winner will be from 1st June to 31st December 2018
Your application file must contain:
• a letter of application
• a portfolio with an updated curriculum vitae (with a photo ID), a presentation of the creative approach/artistic process, documentation and visuals of the major works carried out, including any works imagined in the context of this competition.
Every artwork must be accompanied with its description with the date and name of the work, its dimensions, materials and techniques used, and details of the creative approach (artistic process). As for the visuals, they must be of good quality (maximum A3 paper size and JPG 300 file). In case of a group, each member must provide all these documents;
• a letter of motivation, dated and signed, in the form of a "Statement of intent" in which the candidate will present, in particular, general guidelines he wishes to give to his project in the context of the competition (maximum 2 recto A4).
• For professional artists: total turnover for last three professional years only in the context of services that are related this artwork competition
Applications must be submitted in a sealed envelope to:
Ministère de l’Europe et des Affaires Etrangères, point(s) de contact : DGA/DIL/OIM/SE4
A l’attention de M. Yoann LASITHIOTAKIS,
57 boulevard des Invalides
75007 Paris – France
OR ONLINE AT :
Deadline for receiving your applications: 30/09/2017 at 12h00
This application to participate may be written in French or English. They will be provided in paper format, along with a soft copy on a CD-ROM or USB stick. The computer files, except images, must be provided in PDF format.
Please note that the folder must bear the words: "NE PAS OUVRIR-Campus Diplomatique d’Accra-1%artistique- Appel à candidature”
(Do not open - Accra diplomatic camp - 1% artistic - Call for candidates).
Payment method for the selected artwork: Payment for the selected final artworks will be made in euros via bank transfer to the artist(s). The overall payment period is 30 days from receipt of the invoice by the Construction supervision authority.
All the related technical and practical details for creation, installation and maintenance of an artwork on the different proposed locations on the construction site of the new building and the surrounding park will be available in english and french.
In english :
- Statement of intent
- (PDF - 764 kb)
- Note d’intention
- (PDF - 927.6 kb)
If you are based in Ghana, please send your queries/call: French Embassy in Ghana. Accra to the following email address: email@example.com Telephone: 0302 214 597
Please find the official version of the tender for call for artists in French:
- Avis d’appel
- (PDF - 351.5 kb)
Please note that only the French original versions in this context shall prevail in all cases.